Skiing and Remodeling

Now that my knee feels back to normal, I went for the two ski day weekend. Saturday I went to Vail, which was really crowded, but at least had good snow to make up for it. In a couple of places in the back bowls I hiked up the ridge a little bit extra to get in some fresh turns. Definitely a worthwhile way to escape the crowds (albeit briefly) and get some fresh powder. The rest of the slopes were pretty good, and I actually spent the morning on the front side instead of the bowls. It seems that everyone was heading straight back to the bowls and good ole chair 3 was being ignored. I got in about 3 laps with fresh turns on Kangaroo Cornice, all with no lift line. I then moved to the Northwoods area for a few steep runs down North Rim and Prima Cornice before sucking it up and joining the masses in the back bowls. The runs were good, and the snow was excellent but the lift lines were a little too much to deal with. After a handful of runs I decided to just head back down the face and get a late lunch and head home.

Sunday you would have thought that Denver made the Super Bowl, there was pretty much nobody at Beaver Creek; a stark contrast to the day before. I asked one of my friends at work if Vail was crowded and he said Sunday was dead there too. I guess more people in Colorado cared about Seattle and Pittsburgh than I thought. I only stayed for about 4 hours but managed to get in a dozen runs. First I was getting some fresh tracks on some of the steep runs in the Birds of Prey area, including the run they use for the World Cup. The must have groomed it recently because it had virtually no moguls, and with our 4 inches of new snow it was a lot of fun to zip down. After a couple of open runs, I decided to head more for the tree runs like Royal Elk Glade, Black Bear Glade and Stickline. There was some deep snow, particularly in Black Bear, that hadn’t been skied in days. I could have stayed longer, but I had some home improvements to attend to.

My initial plan was to install my new vanity and top for the bathroom, but never actually got around to that part. First I had to demo the old mirror, medicine cabinet and light so that I would be able to patch/paint before dripping onto my new stuff. Removing the old stuff did a number on the walls and it took most of the day for all of the patch work to dry. By the time I was able to paint it was already dark, and too late to work on the vanity. I did some lighting work instead, replacing the light in the dining area and entry, and master bedroom. I also got the new light and mirror for the bathroom, but seeing as I had to wait for the paint to dry those didn’t get installed. I actually hung the light this morning before work, I didn’t want exposed wired with all the steam from the morning shower. I was a little late, but at least I have a functioning bathroom light. I’ll probably hang the mirror tonight, but it will be next weekend before the vanity goes in. Oh well, at least things are moving in the right direction!