2.13.2006

BC at BC

Even though it was a dry week, I still headed up for skiing this weekend. Saturday I went up to Beaver Creek with my real estate agent from when I bought my condo for a few runs. He was working that day, but unlike me, he can work from the chairlift (at least when it comes to phone calls). He only stayed for a few runs though because he did have some homes to show. The nice thing is that he knows the mountain really well, even a few areas that aren’t on the maps and are not necessarily inbounds. There was one spot just beyond the area boundary that really surprised me; it was almost like something you would expect at Crested Butte. There were several 40 degree plus chutes, and despite its being out of bounds, it was very well traveled and we saw 4 other people back there. It gives a whole new dimension to a ski area known primarily for its fur coats and groomed slopes! We talked about some of the other areas outside the boundary, and it seems like there is a lot of really good terrain just on the fringes of the resort. I don't want to leave the boundary alone, however, but hopefully in the future when I go with my friends we will be able to check out some of what the Beaver Creek backcountry has to offer. I didn’t stay too long myself on Saturday though, I wanted to get home and finish the installation on my bathroom vanity. Its all done and functioning properly now, and it looks pretty good! I will probably be done with improvements for a while, at least until I can save up some more money anyway. Sunday I went to Vail with a couple of co-workers and hit some of the usual suspects over there. A couple of warm up groomers on the front side, then a few runs in the Back Bowls and over at Blue Sky Basin. It was nice and empty on Sunday, there weren’t many lift lines to contend with and most people stuck to the groomed slopes so we had the runs mostly to ourselves. The snow was varied from icy patches to sun baked to nice and soft. With the cold night and sunny days it really plays with the snow consistency sometimes. Hopefully we will get some new snow soon to help soften everything back up! In the meantime, hopefully the US Olympic Team can pick up some more medals!