12.05.2005

Up to our Knees

The snows kept flying most of the week, the storm that came in on Friday night was a pretty good one and left us with nearly a foot officially at the local ski areas. It continued Saturday as well, and there were even a few more showers on Sunday. All total Vail got about 40" this week of snow, in town we don't have quite that much, but the ground is well covered for sure. This meant a great powder day on Saturday at vail, where the snow was easily up to my knees when I was skiing. I broke out the new powder skis, and they were definitely worth it! Skiing on those was a lot of fun, you don't sink as much, and they can cut through the soft moguls that formed through the day with ease. There were some crowds in the morning at the back bowls, but the first two runs back there were worth the wait. After that I started heading to a different area, but still was finding lots of areas where the snow was knee deep, even after 12. I ended up staying there pretty much all day, and when I got back to my car I had a good 4 inched to clear off from what was falling that day. Sunday I decided to go to Beaver Creek instead, partly for convenience and partly because of the World Cup races. With the Olympics a mere 10 weeks away, the race took on extra meaning as it serves as a sort of Olympic Preview this year. Friday and Saturday the top American speed skiiers (Bode Miller and Daron Rahlves) both did very well. It was the second straight year they finished 1-2 in the Downhill, and the next day they switched positions for the Giant Slalom. Sunday's race was the Slalom, and I got to see bits and pieces of it as I skiied the runs that lead to the race arena. It was a cold morning, only 4 degrees, but it definitely felt warmer. The cold and races seemed to keep people off the slope and I managed to ski about 10 runs before lunch time, when I decided to get some pizza in the village and head home for the day. Tomorrow the next snow storm moves in, so far this season Vail has gotten about 11 feet of snow! This snow has prompted earlier than scheduled terrain openings at resorts across the state, and skiing is already better than it was at New Year's last season. While the snow may be making the roads slick and cleaning the car off a twice (or more) daily activity, the skiing has made it all worthwhile. As long as it takes a break when its time to fly home for Christmas, I say keep it coming!