5.18.2004

Welcome!

Well on the advice of one of my friends who has one of these, I have decided to create a Blog to let you all follow in all the events and activities of my new life. As you know, I just moved in a little over 2 weeks ago to my new apartment in the mountains of Colorado from the hustle and bustle of Chicago. The drive across the midwest by U-Haul truck was pretty smooth, but at times extremely boring. If you think Illinois is flat, check out Nebraska! There was a stretch of road that was over a hundred miles and had no curves or hills - just cornfields. Finally the last hundred miles of driving were in the mountains and there was something actually worth looking at out the windshield.

Mostly these first few weeks have just been spent settling in - the usual unpacking, finding ones way around town and stuff. I also have started my new job, which has been good so far. The attitude is definitely different, my old company was quite corporate, but the new one even has a "dog of the day" policy where they let people (one per day max.) bring their dogs to work. Those of you who used to work with me, could you EVER imagine that in the old office? I am working on a ski resort building actually, a condominium at the base of Crested Butte. Right above our building they want to cut trails for a new World Cup run, so in a few seasons you may get to see my building on TV at the end of the races! I am doing most of the consultant coordination, and going over our details right now, as the building gets built I should get to do some of the construction administration work and visit the site! Hopefully I will be impressive enough on this project to get some of my own in the future!

Of course it hasn't been all work, this is Colorado after all, and there are tons of great things to do outdoors. Arapahoe Basin ski area is still open, I've gone twice so far since I moved. The last time it was starting to get a little too melted in some spots, and a lot of the terrain had been closed. I also went on two hikes, both of which I ended up turned back because of snowed in trails. A lot of the higher country here hasn't melted yet, so I guess the lakes at the ends of those trails will have to wait. I did get to see a really great waterfall, Booth Falls, just north of Vail. 60 feet tall, and surrounded by sheer rock cliffs. The hike is very scenic, with great views of Vail and a meadow that I'm sure will be blooming in all sorts of wildflowers in another month or so.

Well I don't want this first post to get too long, or else no one will want to read it! I'll keep you updated with all of the interesting things that are happening out here, especially the weekend hikes! Take care!